Recently I had to do a medical test. I’m the anxious sorts, especially about health. There’s a history to that, but I’ll leave it for another time.
So there was much drama…I worried about it a month before I actually got it done, I asked a friend to go with me when I got it done. And then I worried about the result. I picked up the test just before I had to see the doctor and did not open it while I was waiting in her office.
That makes about 2 whole months of anxiety. During this time, I prayed a lot, did not enjoy my meals (I almost never do, as I eat tastelessly healthy 😛 ) and wore a serious to grim expression on my face, all the while thinking about the quality of my life!
As it turned out, the test result showed I’m normal and healthy. The doctor confirmed this.
So the point is, I lost 2 whole months of a pleasant mental climate! I normally test as soon as they tell me to, to spare myself the anxiety, but it hadn’t been possible this time.
However, on one day during those two months, I had an epiphany. I was operating from anxiety in EVERY area of my life- health, work and relationships. It suddenly struck me, that all I had to do was just drop it. Or, to be more precise, DECIDE to drop it. It was only as simple as that! Happiness is a decision. That’s all it is.
And that day, I did all the same things I usually do, but the quality of my day was so much better. My mind was a beach! Clear, breezy and calm. I enjoyed this very much. I told my doc about it and she laughed.
By the end of our meeting, I actually volunteered to do other routine tests that I have to do! A few years ago, I would never have imagined asking to DO tests! I was so petrified of all things related, including a needle and how much blood they drew out of me!!!
Over time (and similar experiences) I learnt that there are some simple Anxiety Hacks. Here’s a list.
- Write down what you’re anxious about.
- Read it again after a day or two. Chances are it will read so silly, that you’ll laugh it off or forget about it.
- Talk to family or a friend. People have similar experiences and may offer a simple, practical solution to whatever it is that’s bothering you. (Consider seeing a professional if it’s scope is beyond what you or your loved ones can handle.)
- Decide to drop it. Every time you sense an anxious thought popping up, remind yourself that you have decided to drop it for the day. Tell yourself that you will not think about it today.
- Make a joke about it. That way, you won’t blow it up in your imagination and it won’t seem bigger than it actually is. And remember, EVERYTHING is joke worthy.
- Once you realise that your mind has been a beach all day, go out and celebrate!
Good job done! That was your MokshaShot.